Sunday, May 16, 2010

FMJ or JMF ??

Last couple of weeks I've been experimenting with FMJ (Freedom for Media in Java) and JMF (Java Media Framework). FMJ sounds promising, but according to my research it does not support everything I need in my application.

First I tried to create a video with a set of images. It works with JMF. But unfortunately there are no codecs for video formats available in FMJ.

Given below are the Media formats supported by FMJ. Even in FMJ forums it is asked to use JMF in places where certain codecs are missing in FMJ.

Pure Java processing and playback
ContainerFormatDecode (D), Encode (E)
RTPJPEG/RTPD,E
ULAW/RTPD,E
ALAW/RTPD,E
SPEEX/RTPD,E
ILBC/RTPD,E
WAVLINEAR (PCM)D,E
AULINEAR (PCM)D,E
ULAWD,?
AIFFLINEAR (PCM)D,E
multpart/x-mixed-replaceJPEGD,E
GIFD,E*
PNGD,E
OggVORBISD
THEORAD
MP3MP3D

* - encoding only with Java 6+

No comments:

Post a Comment